LUPUS and HIV

My daughter has had rheumatiod arthritis for several year, and in the last 12 months has also been diagnosed with LUPUS. Now she has been told that she has HIV - she is not promiscuous, does not take drugs and has never had a blood transfusion - how is it possible for her to had contracted HIV or is it in some way connected to her having LUPUS?

Response from Dr. Conway

I am so sorry to hear about this terrible news regarding your daughter. "Promiscuous" is a difficult term and we need to remember that if she has even had a single sexual partner, she may be at risk for HIV infection. The lupus/rheumatoid arthritis would not in itself increase the risk of getting HIV unless she is on medications for these conditions that would weaken her immune system.

As an aside, whenever I get someone who has a positive HIV test and it is unclear how the infection might have been acquired, I begin by repeating the test to make sure there wasn't a mix-up with the first blood sample.

strep throat
Molluscum