very sick can i have hiv?

IAM A 26 YEAR OLD GUY, WHO HAD UNPROTECTED ORAL SEX WITH A GIRL WHO USED LOTS OF DRUGS AND WAS AT HIGH RISK, SHE ALSO HAD A RASH ON HER CHEST. THREE DAYS AFTER THAT I GOT A VERY BAD SORE THROAT THAT WAS NOT STREP. AFTER MEDICATION WITH ANTIBIOTICS, THREE WEEKS LATER IN THE SAME MONTH I GOT THE SAME SORE THROAT, THIS TIME WITH FEVER AND CHILLS. MY EXPOSURE WAS ON ON JULY 28, AND ALL OF AUGUST I THINK I HAVE BEEN SICK WITH THE SORE THROAT,TESTED PCR DNA AT 36 DAYS WAS NEGATIVE,VERY SICK TO THIS DAY I HAVE SWOLLEN GLANDS IN MY NECK, UNDER MY ARMS AND IN MY GROIN. COULD ANOTHER DNA PCR TELL ME IF I HAVE HIV?

Response from Dr. Conway

The DNA test done 5 weeks after the exposure is very reassuring, as this should be positive by then if transmission did, in fact, occur. Your symptoms are of some concern, as these are somewhat typical of acute HIV infection, but also typical of many other things. I would begin by discussing with your doctor whether there are other tests that could be done to make a specific diagnosis for your current symptoms. If such a diagnosis is made, I would not worry anymore about HIV. If not, it is perfectly legitimate to have another DNA (or RNA) test to follow-up and reasssure yourself.

side effects
strep throat