Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

very sick can i have hiv?
Sep 17, 2005

IAM A 26 YEAR OLD GUY, WHO HAD UNPROTECTED ORAL SEX WITH A GIRL WHO USED LOTS OF DRUGS AND WAS AT HIGH RISK, SHE ALSO HAD A RASH ON HER CHEST. THREE DAYS AFTER THAT I GOT A VERY BAD SORE THROAT THAT WAS NOT STREP. AFTER MEDICATION WITH ANTIBIOTICS, THREE WEEKS LATER IN THE SAME MONTH I GOT THE SAME SORE THROAT, THIS TIME WITH FEVER AND CHILLS. MY EXPOSURE WAS ON ON JULY 28, AND ALL OF AUGUST I THINK I HAVE BEEN SICK WITH THE SORE THROAT,TESTED PCR DNA AT 36 DAYS WAS NEGATIVE,VERY SICK TO THIS DAY I HAVE SWOLLEN GLANDS IN MY NECK, UNDER MY ARMS AND IN MY GROIN. COULD ANOTHER DNA PCR TELL ME IF I HAVE HIV?

Response from Dr. Conway

The DNA test done 5 weeks after the exposure is very reassuring, as this should be positive by then if transmission did, in fact, occur. Your symptoms are of some concern, as these are somewhat typical of acute HIV infection, but also typical of many other things. I would begin by discussing with your doctor whether there are other tests that could be done to make a specific diagnosis for your current symptoms. If such a diagnosis is made, I would not worry anymore about HIV. If not, it is perfectly legitimate to have another DNA (or RNA) test to follow-up and reasssure yourself.

Previous
side effects
Next
strep throat

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.