Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I ask for a Liver biopsy?
Sep 16, 2005

Hi, I may be being dramatic here but I am obsessed with the notion that my liver is being damaged, All my blood results seem to come back ok regarding the levels in my liver, I had yellow jaundas when I was a child, and when I originally started on viramune my liver levels went over 500, then they switched me to sustivs, viread and epivir. Am I being dramatic or should I ask for a biopsy, I dont drink alcohol during the week, but do have 5 or 6 drinks of a weekend night. I sometimes think I have pain in my lower rear back both sides and convince myself its my liver. Also one last question, if I do have a few drinks of a sat night, is taking the sustiva when I get home at 2am doubling the toxicity in my liver for that period? Should I take the pills before I start to have a drink, thankyou, Kevin

Response from Dr. Henry

Blood tests and clinical evaluation can be very useful to assess the health of the liver (as can protection of viral hepatitis with vaccines and avoid acquiring hepatitis C if not infected already). Liver biopsy is a gold standard test for liver status but often a handle on the situation can be effectively gained by other means. Avoiding liver toxins such as high amounts of alcohol and high chronic doses of Tylenol are also important. KH

Previous
Sustiva/Truvada Side Affects
Next
Aids signs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.