Marriage

I am 28yrs of age,tested HIV positive April,2005, CD4 256, VL 3.3. I WANTED TO GET MARRIED BEFORE THIS DISCOVERY. DO I STILL GO AHEAD? I AM ON HAART. AT WHAT STAGE OF IMPROVEMENT CAN I MARRY? WHAT ABOUT A CHILD,WILL THE BABY BE INFECTED? OR SHOULD I FORGET MARRIAGE FOR LIFE? THANKS

Response from Dr. Conway

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but am also encouraged that you are taking charge of your own care. In this day and age, I like to tell the people who are newly infected that, working together, we will likely be able to control the HIV disease for the rest of their natural lives. YOU MAY WELL LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WERE MEANT TO BEFORE THE HIV CAME ABOUT...

As for marriage, I would want to say that many relationships have survived challenges far greater than HIV. It is important to discuss matters openly, and to understand what precautions you have to take to avoid transmission. As for children, if you are female, being on HAART reduces the risk of transmission of HIV to the child to very low levels. If you are the male...you can adopt, or some techniques of sperm washing may be useful for you to be able to father a child without putting your partner at risk.

I wish you the best of good fortune in considering all your options...

Vitalin instead on serostim
thanks a lot doc....