thanks doc..nevirapine 2doses

hi doc, thank you for answering. While waiting for your answer I have kept up with PEP (and the nausea, bloated tummy, loose stools and headache) for the 16th day today. I'll stop it today. What I forgot to mention is that the doc I went to gave me nevirapine initially and I took 2 doses of it before he called me back and changed it to Kaletra. He didn't explain why he changed it, only said that it wouldn't matter. Why did he change it afterall? Does it really not have any effect on the PEP efficacy? I started with Combivir and nevirapine 12 hrs after having vaginal secretions and possibly blood for unknown scource on raw skin of my thumb that had stopped bleeding. I took nevirapine 2 doses before the doc changed it to Kaletra (lopinavir). Should this alter my plan to stop PEP now? Thanks again, your reply has saved me from a load of side effects and of course anxiety.

Response from Dr. Conway

As far as PEP goes, any HAART combination is acceptable. The issue with nevirapine is that people with a normal CD4 cell count (such as yourself) are at increased risk of hepatic toxicity so it is better to use an alternative treatment, such as Kaletra, that does not have this risk. The efficacy of PEP is not in any way inpaired by the change, it justs reduces the potential toxicity of the regimen.

ARE MY DRUGS WORKING WELL
oral & skin