10 days PEP any protection?
Sep 8, 2005
hi dr.conway, thanks for your time. i started PEP (zid,lami,kaletra) 10 days ago after deeply fingering a prostitute of unknown HIV status. i had cut skin on thumb oozing tiny amount of blood. noticed some blood later on other fingers indicating that it was her vaginal blood (may have got on to my thumb too). am having side effects from PEP and want to stop. should i? do these 10 days of PEP (started after 12 hrs after fingering her) give any proptection at all? thanks for your advice. it helps millions.
Response from Dr. Conway
We do not know the optimal duration of PEP, the key being to start it as soon as possible after the exposure. The first week is probably the most important time period in terms of preventing HIV transmission, so taking it for 10 days is clearly of benefit.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Balls After Genital Rubbing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Penis Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Frequent Watery Vaginal Discharge With Bad Odor
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.