what factors influence lifespan of HIV+ people?

Hi, I am a medical student who is interested in specialising in HIV / AIDS upon graduation. From reading the forums I found that the following factors contribute to the longevity of an HIV+ patient's life: - age: older = faster progression to AIDS - lifestyle: smoking, alcohol, drug, stress, diet - when HAART was commenced earlier = better - adherence to HAART - ability of the virus to develop resistance I understand all of these except the last one. Is this just individual. It has been quoted in this forum that patients newly diagnosed should be able to live a normal lifespan if they adhere to HAART and keep swapping regimens to keep pace with resistance therefore preventing CD4 dropping below 200 and the development of AIDS and death? Your expert input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This forum is exclusively for the discussion of side effects of HIV treatment for patients and care providers.

Osteoporosis
transmssion and PEP part 2