Loss of appetite

1.How can I handle loss of appetite as a result of my medication? 2.The second line HAART I am placed on seem not to suit my system,what are the effect of changing to another type? 3.Can hepatitis be cured during HAART TREATMENT? I am coinfected. 4.PLEASE!! TELL ME TO BE REALISTIC CAN THERE BE CURE IN 5 YEARS TIME?

Response from Dr. Conway

1. The key for the loss of appetite will be to make sure the cause is your medications, and not something else that can be specifically treated. If it appears to be the medication, then early on you can think about using something to combat nausea or to stimulate the appetite before deciding that changing the therapy is the only way to go.

2. If the treatment really does not suit you, you may have to change it. However, if you already have a suppressed viral load, you may only have to change one medication (the one that may be causing you the problems) rather than the whole regimen, so this gives you more options.

3. If you have HCV, we can often treat it at the same time as we treat HIV. If you have genotype 2 or 3 infection, the chances of cure may be 80% or better, so this is definitely an option.

4. We all hope for a cure, but for now, the most realistic thing to think about for the next 5 years is that we will be able to keep people who are now becoming infected with HIV alive and well, on or off medications, for the rest of their lives. This is a realistic hope.

Nausea & Vomiting
transmission risk and PEP