Nausea & Vomiting

My current drug regimen is causing frequent bouts with nausea and vomiting. What do you prescribe - without discontinuing the meds - to alleviate these side effects? Is one antiemetic better than another? What do you offer as the best regimen that doesn't include nausea and vomiting side effects? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

First, I would want to make sure the nausea and vomiting are not due to some other cause, such as an intercurrent illness or a more serious side effect of the medications (such as liver toxicity or pancreatitis). Once these things have been ruled out, I start with over the counter medications (such as Gravol) taken on a regular basis until the symptoms resolve or we decide to change the medications. I find all the over-the-counter antiemetics to be similar in efficacy, and they can all make you a bt drowsy, so it is important to be careful. I only go to prescription antiemetics if I have no other choice.

animal testing
Loss of appetite