Can HIV Meds cause Anal trouble??

Dear Doc,

I have been experiencing a problem for a while now regarding my anus.. I have read that being on Meds can cause Anus cancer and was wondering if this is so?? My anus has been very very itchy inside and i can feel small lumps im too embarassed to tell the docs its driving me mad especially after i go to the toilet can you please tell me what it could be and is it dangerous?? Many thanks..

I am unaware of any anal condition directly caused by HIV meds. Many medical conditions including a wide range of infections can cause anal itching. Hemorrhoids and other common medical conditions also often can cause itching in the anus. If HIV meds are causing loose stools or other GI irritations then indirectly they can be contributing to anal conditions/irritations. A manual examination and anoscopy/sigmoidoscopy is recommended to evaluate those complaints. Anal cancer is usually due to human papilloma virus(HPV). The impact of HIV Meds on HPV infection in the anus and risk for anal cancer is still under evaluation (no evidence that risk is increased-the issue is whether it is decreased or has little or no effect). KH

How Does HIV Associated Neuropathy Manifest Itself?
IS IT TOO EARLY FOR SYMPTOMS?