Exposure and PEP

Dear Forum experts:

situation is this: I was the active partner with subsequently known positive man, broken condom after less than a min anal sex (kept checking). Went to local hospital and obtained Combivir within 4 hours of event, then just outside the 72 hour window found out that partner has some resitance to AZT, so went back to clinic and switched to a new cocktail (Abacavir / Viread / Kaletra). In the meanwhile I have had some symptoms: runny nose, some nausea, heartburn, diarrhoea, at times sporadic low grade fever - less than 37.5C however no pains, no aches, no lymph nodes, no tiredeness as such.

I am nearly at the end of 4 week PEP. Am I in for a HIV diagnosis? What are the risks of seroconversion after this history of knwon HIV exposure and PEP?

Please advise, many thanks and I appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed. A great job well done!

From the details you provide it is much more likely you have endured side effects of HIV meds (usually worse in the first 4 weeks on drug!) and it seems unlikely those symptoms represent HIV infection. Good luck with your follow-up tests. KH

Hyperpigmentation
Headaches