Nauseau and Vomiting

Dear Dr. Henry:

My current drug regimen is causing frequent bouts with nausea and vomiting. What do you prescribe - without discontinuing the meds - to alleviate these side effects? Is one antiemetic better than another? What do you offer as the best regimen that doesn't include nausea and vomiting side effects? Thank you.

Often the nausea and vomiting will decrease over the first month of therapy. For nausea I often first try Reglan or Compazine and if those aren't helpful often Marinol (which also can stimulate the appetite). I often have our HIV pharmacist go over the schedule of taking the drugs to make sure they are being taking correctly (such as with food for many of the meds). If the nausea persists then then the regimen is reviewed to see if any particular drug could be the main cause and should we switch to an alternative (for example for a small percentage of patients AZT causes persistent nausea). KH

loss of libido (not interested in sex)
Worried swelling of Ankles