AZT induced Inclusion Body Myositis

I have been experiencing muscle pain, weakness, and atrophy in my upper arms and lower thigh for quite some time. After a few tests, we found my muscle enzyme levels were as high as 1200 and, after an MRI and subsequent muscle biopsy, I was diagnosed with Inclusion Body Myositis. My doctor thinks it was possibly brought on by taking Combivir for several years which has AZT as one of it's ingredients. We stopped the Combivir and started Epzicom in conjunction with Sustiva (which I've been on for several years now). Now I'm taking Prednisone to bring down the inflammation and pain. After I'm done with that, with the Myositis go away? And, to regain the muscle mass I've lost, would anabolic steroids be advisable? Or, am I going to have this condition for the rest of my life?

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It is easy to forget the risk for that condition which seems to be less common compared to the early days of AZT use when much higher doses were prescribed. I had a number patients who experienced that complication. Recovery occurred slowly but generally was fairly complete (with a couple of exceptions over the last almost 20 years). I haven't utilized anabolic steroids after the myositis stabilized so I can't comment from my own experience. If muscle mass was decreased it might be worth trying with exercise and protein supplementation under supervision. KH

Very Confused...needing answers
serious pain