Desensitization to Septra or Bactrim

Drs. Conway and Henry, I need to understand more about whether or not desensitization to Septra or Bactrim will work for me. I believe aerosolized pentamidine treatments caused and continued to aggravate a chronic cough I have had since June 13. My primary care physician also thinks it may be related. I have had allergic reactions (rash, hives) in the past to bactrim, penicillin and toward the end of a successful regimen of Sporanox for Eosinophilic Folliculitis. My CD4 is at a 3 year high of 65 and 12%. VL is not detected (<50). Neutrophils % is 75 (#3.5). Lymphocytes low at 14% and #0.5. WBC is 4.0 down from 4.5 two months earlier. Eosonophils % is 5 (#0.2). Nothing else is truly remarkable. I had PCP 9/2002 upon diagnosos and CD4 was at its lowest 26/4%. I am on Viread, Viramune, Epivir and Zithromax as well as Blood Pressure Meds. I just want to know more about the Desensitization process and whether I might be a candidate. I will of course discuss it with the Clinic (I rarely see the doctor -- I am captive to a nurse practioner).

I have successfully desensitized numerous patients to Septra/Bactrim in cases like your (sometimes in clinic/sometimes initially in the hospital-always under close observation. There are numerous recipes out there ( a good one is in the widely available Sanford Guide to HIV/AIDS 2005 table 5 page 15). KH

ejaculation
neuropathy