Totally confused and scared during PEP

Hi, I had accidental unprotected sex with a sex worker of unknown HIV status. It was basically due to a condom break and may be the intercourse without protection lasted for about 20 seconds before noticing it. I was put on PEP (Combivir) and took my first dose after 24 hours. Since then it is nearly a week. The problem is I use to feel more fatigue since then which probably is normal. But what about this: I get recurrant mild fever everyday late afternoon which goes away by evening may be just after I have taken my daily dose. I am totally confused why this is happening. Is my body responding or not responding to the medication be some reason for this? Or is it that the body reacts in this manner because the medicine is not used up (may be I am not infected) and it is being rejected/reacted with? I wish to go for a PCR test soon. Can I stop my medication for one week and go for the test? You guidance in this manner is greatly solicited. Yours Truly, SG

Many patients experience fatigue and a host of other side effects during the first weeks/months on HIV meds such as COmbivir. The mild fever is very non-specific and could be your body trying to adjust to being out of sorts from your HIV meds. The majority of symptoms in situations like your are due to the meds and stress-much less likely HIV-related. Your primary MD should discuss further with you the pros and cons of continuing your PEP. KH

Trizivir & Viread
Bactrim at Night