annoying , itchy rash

Hi from Sydney Australia. I have been on meds now for nearly 8 months Combivir/stocrin. CD4 260/undect. I was recently diagnosed of pcp and placed on 4 double strength bactrim daily for 6 weeks and have just gone down to only one a day. I have developed a really itchy back and small hives have appeared, i feel fine but it's driving me crazy. Could this be a reaction to the lowering of dose of the bactrim? I had no problems whilst on the 4 a day. Thank you for your time.

The Stocrine or bactrim can cause a rash which can be hard to sort out. It would be unlikely that the rash would be caused by the lower dose of bactrim. Some patients become photosensitive to UV (sunlight) from the bactrim. There are also a wide range of HIV-related skin conditions as well as immune reconsitution syndromes that patients can experience. If I can't sort out the likely cause in one of my patients I try to grab one of our dermatologists to help out which I frequently find very useful.KH

swollen feet and ankles
Prostate Troubles!