Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any success with surgery/liposuction?
Jul 25, 2005

I know that surgery for the deep abdomen fat from lipodystrophy is risky to impossible. However, what about for the fat that is now in my armpits, on the side of my body under the armpits, the breast (chest area for me since I am a male), and around the pubic area? Do you have any patients who have had surgery in those areas where the fat has NOT come back? I know that a lot of this stuff varies from individual to individual, but you have ANY cases where the fat has been surgically removed and has stayed off for any length of time? I am scheduling an appointment with a plastic surgeon recommended by my HIV doctor, but just wanted some other info (even anecdotal) before I go in. Just don't want to waste my time (and money) if the fat will come back in a few months anyhow (mitachondria, etc. plus other unknowns that cause it to return). By the way, I am an extremely motivated and dedicated individual who has worked out and watched his diet for many years. Also, I'm currently on Videx EC, Reyataz, and Emtriva (I assume those are relatively lipo friendly drugs). Thanks for you answer....

Response from Dr. Henry

I have not had much experience with plastic surgery intervention in the areas you describe. If any reader would like to contribute even an anecdotal story please do so. KH

Previous
Persistant Rash
Next
Ask to delete a question already

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.