Low Platelet Count

I have had a low platelet count for over a year and am concerned about it. What I would like to know is what level is of concern and what is not. My labs say Alert! my last platelet count was 97 with the range being 140 to 415 as normal. I started taking WinRo several months ago and eventhough it seemed to help I had an alergic reaction from it which required an trip to the emergency room. Afterwards i tried Gamunex and it seemed to work at first with a higher platelet count but now it is back down to 97.

Is it safe to take Gamuglobulin and for how long should one be on it.

Loyd

In my experience HIV infected patients often tolerate low platelet counts well (I have patients having minimal problems with platelet counts as low as 10-25,000). HIV treatment often will raise the platelet count. Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP) is associated with HIV and sometimes requires use of steroids, gamma globulin or a splenectomy. Gamma globulin often is safe to take for prolonged perionds of time. KH

Entire family with HIV
skin and scalp pain