Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need help
Jul 20, 2005

PLease, I stay in USA. A friend of mine back home in Nigeria just told me she is HIV+ from a recent test, and she doesn't know what to do, or how to cope about it. In fact, she is in a state of confusion. Please Doc.what can you suggest she does..please I need your help to help her out pls.

THANKS

Response from Dr. Conway

The best advice I could give you is to first have her make sure that the test result is correct. I would then ask her to contact the nearest clinic that provides care for HIV in her area, and figure out what is available in terms of blood tests or treatments. There are probably over 3 million Nigerians living with HIV, as many as 500,000 needing treatment, and only 20,000 that had access to treatment...until the more recent round of funding from the Global AIDS Programme. The key will be for your friend to find out where she can go to access this programme. A good website is:

http://www.theglobalfund.org/search/portfolio.aspx?lang=en&countryID=NGA

Perhaps you could start there...

Good luck...

Previous
htlv-3 is a new retrovirus
Next
undetectable viral load, declining CD4s

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.