I need help

PLease, I stay in USA. A friend of mine back home in Nigeria just told me she is HIV+ from a recent test, and she doesn't know what to do, or how to cope about it. In fact, she is in a state of confusion. Please Doc.what can you suggest she does..please I need your help to help her out pls.

Response from Dr. Conway

The best advice I could give you is to first have her make sure that the test result is correct. I would then ask her to contact the nearest clinic that provides care for HIV in her area, and figure out what is available in terms of blood tests or treatments. There are probably over 3 million Nigerians living with HIV, as many as 500,000 needing treatment, and only 20,000 that had access to treatment...until the more recent round of funding from the Global AIDS Programme. The key will be for your friend to find out where she can go to access this programme. A good website is:

Perhaps you could start there...

Good luck...

htlv-3 is a new retrovirus
undetectable viral load, declining CD4s