Pyruvate supplements VS Lipo

I asked: I saw som info on pyruvate in my local supplement store, as I do resistance trainging to combat lipo, and came accross pyruvate. I read about it and thought this ought to be worth a try, but then I started researching it in regards to HIV and it is associated wiht lactic acidosis? soi I was wondering who it it related and if I was reading that wrong, adn maybe pyruvate supplements can be used to combat lipo? thanks.

DR Henry said: I have seen no convincing data that pyruvate supplements are either safe or effective for the treatment of HIV-related lipodystrophy. Uridine supplements are under study for reversal of fat loss but data is limited. For fat gain, exercise, diet, hormone normalization (testosterone), and growth hormone (or GH releasing factor) may help some patients and are being further studied as treatment.

my new question is this, your statement was very confusing. are you saying you don't think its safe or saying you havent seen evidence that says its safe or not? I am just w9ondering if I should start tkaing to see what happens. the studied results are technical and and I don't quite understand everthing that is written, but is the supplement the same thing that can be associated with lactic acidosis.

Sorry. I haven't seen any published reports of the safety or effectiveness of pyruvate related to HIV=associated lipodystrophy. I would be surprised if it has any benefit but it hasn't been studied thoroughly. That is a common problem when discussing alternative medications/supplements (not well studies with a lack of published data). Large doses can cause gastrointestinal side effects. I don't know what that would do regarding the absorption of HIV drugs that a patient might be taking so I would try to space out the HIV drugs and pyruvate doses if they are taken together. KH

HIV low testosterone and prostate cancer
Newly Diagnosed