Is surgery risky for people with AVN?

I'm a 44 year old male diagnosed in 1995. My current t-cell is 20 qand my viral load is 161,000. Two years ago I was diagnosed with AVN in both hips. I have seen three different surgeons and all said they would not feel right operating because the chance for infection is too great. Do you think their line of thinking is right or are they nervous about the HIV? The pain is getting

I have had numerous patients undergo bone surgery with HIV/AIDS and the vase majority have done well. Although it is preferable to have your HIV under good control with a higher CD4 count, even in the pre-effective treatment era it appeared that most HIV/AIDS patients did well with surgery. The risk to a surgeon may be higher if your HIV is not well controlled but the decision to treat should be based on your clinical situation. KH

Changin meds
HIV & Herpes