playdoh thighs

dear Doc, I have been injecting fuzeon for a year now in my thighs as I'm very skinny and have no fat to inject into. I also have no-one around to help. My thighs have become very soft like playdoh and are actually pliable (great for playing with on long journeys) but very unattractive I've have spoken to my doc (one of the top HIV consultants in Britain) and even he doesn't have any easy answers. I've even gone to Roche Is The biojector the answer? (it isn't used much for fuzeon in Britain yet)I can't really use my upper arms as I bleed easily so have to "z track" and also is the problem reversible?

please help

Carl Coulton

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

Carl,

You are the first person I've heard describe PlayDoh thighs! However a lot of people have difficulty with finding enough fat in places where it's feasible to inject Fuzeon. I continue to hear mixed messages about the Biojector needleless injection system. Some people say its much better (with fewer injection site reactions) and some say it's more irritating and painful. A large evaluation is going on in the States comparing Biojector to traditional injection and to insulin needles.

A couple of suggestions (if you haven't already tried them) Switching to a smaller guage insulin needle may help minimize irritation. Different brands of needles sometimes make a difference, so try a few if you can. I'm assuming you've done massage, ice, heat, topical steroid cream, etc.? Have you tried your buttocks? Some people have some significant fat stores there and most people can self-infect without too much difficulty.

If the Biojector isn't available in your area yet, there might be other needless systems that you could investigate. Not sure how you would mix and then get the Fuzeon into the system, but it might be worthwhile checking into.

I can't answer your question about reversal of your problem since I'm not quite sure what's going on. I would venture that if you could find some alternative sites for injection, the "old" sites might regain some fat over time and might be usable in the future. Have you looked into other options such as clinical studies involving new entry inhibitors? I don't know what's being studied in the UK, but there are a number of agents in development that may be active even with Fuzeon resistance.

Good luck I hope some of this helps!

-dk

T20 and resistance
oral ccr5 fusion inhibitors