Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Realistic Expectations
Jul 9, 2005

I was diagnosed with AIDS (asymptomatic) in May. I haven't been sick, just decided to go get tested. Found out my CD4 was 143 and viral 62,300...the percentage ( whatever that is ) was 15%. I was shocked that my inital viral load was low but my CD4 was so low as well...I have been on Sustiva, Epzicom and Bactrim for a month now and and have not experienced (thank god) any of the side effects listed for either drug. My CD4 has almost doubled and Viral down to 600...I just want to know if its realistic for me to have the same outlook in the aspects of health and life expectancy as a person who is only HIV positive? Is it possible for me to reach higher Cd4 counts and eventually obtain a undetected viral load? Are there any supplements that I should also be taking besides a one a day vitamin? Im already a vegetarian consuming alot of flax, blueberries,broccoli , garlic, and tofu. Are these things beneficial? Please Help...

Response from Dr. Conway

You are on the right track. With this particular regimen (or something very similar to it), it is reasonable to expect a good long-term (7 years or more) response to therapy. The fact that your viral load is almost undetectable at present is a very good sign, and it is quite likely that the next measure will be undetectable and will stay there as long as you take your pills reliably.

I am telling my patients responding to treatment as you seem to be doing that their life expectancy is essentially normal, given that we know the treatment can work for almost a decade now and that those who are responding to it seem to have normal health. I am, for sure, extrapolating from existing data rather than relying on hard facts, but many other experts agree with me.

Good luck with this....

Previous
PEP effectiveness after condom failure
Next
Hodgkin's desease

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.