HIV EIA test

Dr. Brian:

I was going through your forums for which I found this question which you can say can also relate to a similar situation of mine.

Using lexapro and went for a test. Jul 7, 2005

Hi Dr. Brian:

I am on lexapro 20 mg a day for the past 4 months and just went for an HIV test after a low risk exposure. The result came out to be negative. I have been reading these articles. Because I was using lexapro will it cause a false negative in the result of my EIA test for HIV. Please answer.

Thank You.

Response from Dr. Conway

Lexapro is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), similar to many other agents such as Effexor and Zoloft. None of these drugs interfere with the ability of standard tests to detect anti-HIV antibodies in any way.

my question is what is "anti-HIV antibodies", did you mean HIV antibodies "that None of these drugs interfere with the ability of standard tests to detect HIV antibodies in any way". do they actually interfere?? I did not have any concern. One time just for one day I took/had or I was on lexapro 10 mg, when I was very very depressed during the window period and I never took any lexapro or any other antidepressant after that. So that means I took lexapro only one time in my life. After that I got tested after six months and My HIV EIA test result is negative. Do I need any further testing u think doc? God bless you for your great work.

Response from Dr. Conway

You do not need any other test, unless there is a more recent incident during which you may have been exposed to HIV. You can definitely rely on the result of the test.

thank you very much
Got my blood to the CDC (twice)