Do I really need norvir?

Hello, I am currently on Reyataz and Truvada. I am doing very well virologically (month 2 I became undetectable) on it. However, I recently saw a different HIV specialist to get another opinion on something my regular doctor had said. This guy says that I need Norvir to boost the Reyataz and that without it, the combination is all wrong. My doctor says that I am doing well so he doesn't see the need to add anything. So who should I listen to? Is the Norvir really as crucial to the combination as the other guy thinks or is my medicine find since I am doing well on it?

Response from Dr. Conway

There is clearly an interaction between Reyataz and the Viread part of Truvada that reduces Reyataz levels such that they could easily be sub-therapeutic. The Norvir restores the Reyataz to therapeutic levels. To date, you have "gottten away with it", but the benefit of the regimen may not be long-lasting without the Norvir. And it is only 100 mg Norvir/day. Think of it as a convenient one pill per day insurance policy...

muscle wasting
saying goodbye too soon