Diabetes and Norvir

Dear Dr. Years ago I took Norvir and Fortovase and developed severe diabetes with blood sugar over 600. I am almost positive the norvir caused the diabetes. I stopped the norvir and continued taking the fortovase with viracept and have had no problems since with blood sugar returning to normal. My question is that since they are removing fortovase from the market and the invirase is boosted with norvir as are many other drugs will the diabetes return? Is the norvir at low enough doses that it won't return?

Good question. I don't know what dose of Norvir you used previously. The dose of Norvir used in most boosted PI combinations is 100 to 200 mg/day. With your history the low dose options might be prudent for starters (100 mg Norvir with 300 mg atazanavir) though a switch from your current regimen to something like Invirase 1000 mg/Norvir 100 mg twice daily would be another option (and there are others as well). Glucose intolerance has not been a prominent feature of Norvir used in regimens such as those but there is a wide range perhaps due to a genetic predisposition in some cases. KH

Is Folliculitis contagious?
Crestor for PI-Caused high triglycerides