Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Had fat transfer through liposuction of love handels to face
Jun 26, 2005

I just recently had fat transfer through liposuction of my love handels to face..My wasting was very minimal..I have always had a high CD 4 count 500-780 and a relatively low viral load undetectable to 150,000..I have been off meds for 17 months and doing extremely well..Anyway, I did have sculptra injections but really saw very minor improvement injected by my dermatologist..I saw a plastic surgeon who suggested fat transfer and felt it gives better results than sculptra and can last just as long..he feels if sculptra is injected through the squirt and shoot method it does not give good results...what is your opionon on fat injections to sculptra? This surgeon has had patients where fat transfer lasted for years..I did have this done and do see a MUCH better improvement as apposed to the scupltra which I did not see any change at all in two treatments, and as I said my wasting is very slight and it showed very minor improvement..maybe a 30-40% difference as opposed to a 100% improvement with fat transfer...I know some of your doctors think it is expensive and a waste of time because they don't last, but for me the improvement is much better than the sculptra which did not work for me...

Response from Dr. Henry

We have much to learn about fat-related issues and how to treat them. There may also be wide individual variations in response between patients and different surgeons. There have been reports of fat transplants from areas of excess fat to areas depleted of fat. In some cases the newly moved fat actually increased in size to the point where it was disfiguring (Chipmunk cheeks). Thanks for sharing your experience-send an update in 6-12 months to let us know if you are still pleased with the results. KH

Previous
Sun Sensitive
Next
Bloating and Stomach Pains

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.