Allergic to Bactrim?

Dear Sirs,

I was diagnosed with HIV two years ago, and soon after I came down with PCP Pneumonia. Since then I've been on Sustiva, Combivir and Bactrim and everything was great for a year. Last December I started getting a very bad rash, mostly in my limbs, and apparently unrelated to any specific triggering conditions (although, of course, hot water or the sun made the rash worse). Even without scratching I'd soon have the back of my leg, calves or arms covered in hives.

At the very same time I started developing a hacking cough, especially at night, that would start daily at the same time and subdue around two hours later (provided I refrained from coughing, which only made the cough and wheezing worse). The cough happens mostly at night but I can feel some tightness in my tubes at all times during the day.

I saw my Infectologist about this and he seemed to pay little attention to both symptoms, for my T-Cells continued to go up (they're around 300 now) and my last test still showed undetectable HIV levels. However, we did a test that very same day and it came back with a slightly detectable virus level, which my doctor seemed to minimize but I got worried about (just a year of treatment would be to soon to develop resistance, or so I'd like to think).

Anyway, he wasn't able to give me an answer regarding neither my cough nor the hives. He asked repeatedly if I was getting fever as weel and the truth is I'm not. I feel great, except for these two symptoms that I've had for at least 6 months now!! A dermatologyst prescribed me some Allegra (which I didn't even buy because I'm tired of doctors trying to solve anything with random drugs after spending 2 minutes with their patient).

After doing some research online (which I know can be tricky, especially for HIV patients), I came to think that I could be having an allergy to Bactrim, as both symptoms seem to fit the description of an allergy.

So my questions are 1) What do you think? 2) What should I do? I wouldn't want to discontinue my profilactic treatment (PCP was not something I'd ever want back!), but the cough and hives need to go!

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this matter!

Marcelo

Often Bactrim can be safely stopped once the CD4 count is consistently > 250 on treatment so you could discuss at least a 3 month or so interruption of Bactrim to see if your symptoms improve. I wouuld consider seeing a dermatologist of his/her opinion and or have a chest evaluation (exam, possible an X-ray or pulmonary function test to look for evidence of bronchospasm). KH

Possible meds malabsorption?
Neuropathy - Celery Seed