Abacavir combo

My doctor prescribes Abacavir/Lamivudine/Atazanavir/Ritonavir. I have had the drugs for 3 weeks but have not started the regimen. To be frank I'm afraid to start because of side effects and that it is likely that I will be on these drugs long term.

What is your experience of this regimen and is it particulary toxic in the initial stages?

Thanks.

That is a very reasonable regimen which is generally well tolerated. Watching for the abacavir hypersensitity reaction syndrome is the key issue over the first 8 weeks (I often separately write the abacavir and lamivudine prescriptions over the first 8 wks and then if no problem write for the combined 2 in 1 pill Epzicom). Your HIV doc/nurse want to hear from you if you start and have worrisome side effects-we want those calls to monitor and help get people started on meds as smoothly as possible. KH

Dr. Dhananjay L. Patil
severe diarhea