allergies and PEP treatment

I decided to take Combivir after I had unprotected anal insertive sex with a HIV+ person. 18 days into it I woke up to a stiff neck and found it somewhat difficult to swallow. I got concerned and saw my doctor. She said from her obsevation it didn't appear to be from HIV infection, but said allergies may be the culprit. So my question is wheter there has been side effects like this with Combivir, or is it really possible allergies, or allergies in conjuction with Combivir? Would I see HIV infection signs this early while taking PEP and when my source of infection has no drug resistance? Is headache and joint pain another side effect? No swollen lymph nodes or other symptoms. Thanks for any help.

Those symptoms are non-specific and would generally be unlikely due to either new HIV infection in the setting you describe. Alos those symptoms deem unlikely to be due to the Combivir. It is common for patients during PEP to have some modest side effects from the HIV drugs as well as other intercurrent medical problems which is nerve-wracking when one is also worried about possible HIV infection so watching any symptoms carefully. KH

Vomitting feeling
skinny guy, prominent abdomen