is this the right combo

I take Sustiva, Viread and Didanosine. I just read where this isn't a good mix for long term use. Is this true and should I consult my dr. who told me this is a great cocktail? My only side effects are dizziness and dry mouth and slight diarrhea. I'm new to meds, this is my first time taking anything. Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

The combination of Didanosine and Viread was reported by a Spanish group as causing a decrease in the CD4 count after it was started. This appeared to be due to the fact that the dose of Didanosine was not reduced (as would be required due to a drug interaction with Viread) and that this was toxic to the cells. Even when the dose is reduced, however, some observers are still reporting the same thing. Now the triple combination adding Sustiva seems to be less effective than other possible regimens, possibly due to a lower barrier to resistance. So if this is going to be used, I would certainly watch both the CD4 count and viral load, to make sure the CD4 is going up and the viral load is becoming undetectable over an expected period of time.

MRSA Treatment
Please do me a favor