Switching to (abacavir + 3TC) with Sustiva

Hello Dr Henry, My last question to you was: Is the AZT in her combo wrecking havoc with her red & white blood cells-- if so, what is a prudent next drug combo choice to consider? You responded with: AZT can be a drag on the bone marrow and CD4 counts in some cases. I often would switch to abacavir to see if there seems to be any improvement over 3-6 months.

Note: My fiancées initial regime was Trizivir (abacavir + zidovudine + lamivudine) & Sustiva which she did not tolerate well, her doctor switched her to Sustiva & Combivir (AZT & 3TC) after being Trizivir for 2 week--she is on Combivir & Sustiva currently-- 2.5 yrs later.

Question: Since she did not tolerate abacavir when it was used in combination with Combivir, will the intolerance be still there if abacavir is taken with 3TC, now 2.5 yrs later?

I understand that Epzicom (abacavir + 3TC), can cause increased cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, lipodystrophy; as well as decreased fat in the face, arms, and legs, and diabetes. My main reasoning for wanting to switch from AZT is to prevent a decreased fat in the face, arms, and legs. The same phenomenon takes place with abacavir.

Question: Is it a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils--if so, what are the pros & cons of each choice?

I am concerned about the activity of her bone marrow (low red blood cells and low white blood cells). Epzicom seems to impact the red blood cells negatively. Her last labs taken on 04/07/05 reveals: A White Blood cell count of 8.2 Thous/Mcl and a Red Blood cell count of 3.03 Mill/Mcl. The same test on her previous lab dated 12/7/05: Her White Blood cell count is 7.9 Thous/Mcl, Red Blood cell count is 4.12 Mill/Mcl.

Question: Will she be able to take Epzicom?

Whether she can tolerate abacavir depends partly on what was the nature of the symptoms experienced when first started. If the symptoms were suggestive of the hypersensitivity reaction then re-exposure/use of abacavir is strongly not recommended. If that was not the issue then careful re-use is an option. Abacavir has generally been more fat and lipid friendly than AZT so its use with 3TC (Epzicom) might be more protective of fat while being easier on the bone marrow (abacavir is consistently easier onthe bone marrow than AZT). Depending on her treatment history other options may well be available (including switching to a regimen based on 1-2 boosted protease inhibitors without any AZT or other drugs in the class). KH

Lyposidostrophy and Bio-Alcamid
Consequences of not starting meds?