HIV/LYMPH NODES

PLEASE HELP, I'm going crazy. I had unprotected sex in early March. I started to get white spots in my mouth & enlarged lymph nodes about 3 weeks later. So I went to get HIV tested. It was only 47 days apart from the unprotected sex. The test came back negative. But I still have both conditions. PLEASE reply.

Response from Dr. Conway

It is possible that one could be infected with HIV and still have a negative antibody test in the time frame you describe. If someone had symptoms that could be due to acute HIV infection (and enlarged lymph glands could certainly be one such symptom), I would advise them to have a test to detect the virus directly (either viral load test or DNA PCR) to try to detect the infection at the earliest possible time point.

Revisited AIDS related bone pain
"Viral load effect on medication effectiveness"