Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

only HIV2 positive results...

I recently was tested for HIV 1 & 2. The result for the HIV 1 test was negative however the test for HIV 2 was positive. The lab told me not to worry and another test is to be issued. I am still scared and not sure what this all means. Wouldn't the HIV 1 (elisa) test report HIV 2 infection (why two seperate tests?) and how similar are the early symptoms such as fatigue and memory loss between these two different versions...recently I was diagnosed with a rare skin disease titled PLEVA which made me initiate these tests.

The likelihood that you are HIV-2 infected depends on your travel and exposure history. If no travel to or contact with persons from western Africa or India then HIV-2 very unlikely. I assume that a confirmatory test (HIV-2 specific western blot) has been done ir is being done? I recommend connecting with an HIV specialist in your area to sort out the test interpretations. Less is known about the natural history of HIV-2 infection but generally it is believed to have a slower course of disease progression than HIV-1. KH

Therapeutic Vaccine With No Known Side Effects:Why Delayed?
stomach pains