Recurrent Gynecomastia: What to do?

I have been on Sustiva and Combivir since the fall of '01 (Crix and Combivir before that, changed due to severe GERD and for a more simple regimen, not due to drug resistance). In '02 I developed painful unilateral gynecomastia in my left breast. At the time, both my primary care doc (both a PCP and infectious diseases/HIV-AIDS specialist) wasn't sure if it was the medications but thought it was probably so (maybe even the Lipitor I am on). I eventually saw a breast surgeon who took out the fat in Dec. '03 and everything was great...it felt great, looked great. Then, less than a year later, in October '04, I could feel the same thing developing again in the same breast. After going to a breast surgeon again here in NYC where I now live (and having a mammogram and a sonogram) it was confirmed that I again have unilateral gynecomastia. I have read both on this site and in medical journals that Sustiva (and even Combivir) is probably the culprit here. So, my question is, is this just something I'm going to have to live with? I mean, I can't go having surgery every year to keep removing this. But it gets more painful at times than others, even waking me up when rolling over in bed. And forget about myself or someone else even touching the left side of my chest (as if sex hasn't become difficult enough). Also, how often should I get this rechecked? I mean, if it's been diagnosed as gynecomastia, it's gynecomastia, right? It's not going to turn into cancer or anything else? I worry that something different will pop up there but we will assume that it's all gynecomastia and then boom...I'll find out I have cancer someday. What do you think? Thank you for your time and valued opinion.

The natural history of gynecomastia in both HIV+ and HIV- men can be variable so it is hard to make firm statements from the anecdotal reports and case series that are published in the literature. I assume your hormone (ie testosterone) levels have been checked and or mid-range normal? The link to specific HIV drugs or combinations is not real clear so it is hard to say if switching to other meds will truly clear up the problem. Sounds like a frustrating situation and it is! KH

Low CD4
Sad I started therapy