viramune: rash and resolving sustiva depression

Thanks for all your posted answers.

Status: undet/600, switched from sustiva to viramune 2 weeks ago, increasing dosage in 2 days, well overall and feeling the sustiva fog lift

Question: I just broke out in a rash all of a sudden tonight that looks like folliculitis (red spots from sweaty legs) but itches a lot more, at first I thought it was ant bites. What would be a sign that this rash is more than mild/moderate?

Comment: I saw a response of yours to a question about Sustiva & depression which also asked if others experience the same. YES.

The Sustiva symptoms mostly evaporated for me after a couple weeks so long as I avoided fatty food within 2 hours of the pill. For a year on it, though, I became generally more miserable -- disrupted sleep pattern and generally disrupted life because of the sleep and food issues with the pill.

Viramune now for 2 weeks, and the depression is about gone, I can sleep much better, not back to normal but getting there fast, and my general state of happiness is returning. Also, g/i issues are dissipating. The rash is no big deal compared with the misery that came with the year long buildup of Sustiva. Two months ago I started considering anti-depressants, now I don't think I'll need them with Sustiva out of my life -- I'm glad I tried changing the Sustiva first.

It is amazing how much better I feel in general, even with a temporary rash.

(PS: I have a good friend who has had no such difficulty with the Sustiva, except having to avoid the bowl of ice cream.)

Thank you for that feedback. Viramune rashes can be treated through in many cases. More serious rashes involve the eyes, face, other mucousal surfaces with other symptoms or signs (such as liver irritation). Monitoring has to be done carefully due to the risk for Stevens-Johnson syndrome which can be life-threatening. KH

Abdominal pain with Viread/Reyataz
Subtype N