Paunch Belly After So Many Years?

Hi doctor:

I have been on my meds for many years (almost 6) and have never had any type of metabolic side effect what so ever. Is it seen in other persons taking antivirals an all of a sudden emergeing of a paunch belly (within 2 motnhs) that will not go away even with restrictive carb intake or regular exercise? I am a little depressed going through this considering I could eat whatever I want and now all of a sudden have this tire belly that people are noticing on me... VERY concerned and wonder if this sudden emergence is seen in patients even after 5+ years on antivirals? Thanks for your time and help.

I have observed the phenomenon you describe in a number of my patients. It is hard for me to understand how the fat issue can suddenly develop as you so well have detailed. Some studies of HIV+ person have compared their experience to HIV- persons and have found similar rates of fat increase while fat loss has been more unique and frequent in the HIV+ population. Diet, exercise, evaluation of your particular regimen, consideration of a change in your regimen, diabetic drugs, growth hormone like drugs--all may help some patients with the problem of increased abdominal fat (usually visceral or internal fat). Your HIV specialist is usually the best person to evaluate the issue and suggest what to do. KH

Blood Pressure's UP
How long can this combination last?