How can I lessen the side effects?

Hi! I'm 27 y.o., study and work. CD4: 276, Viral load 20367 and I'm just about to start taking pills. My Dr. gave me Combivir (1/12hrs) and Kaletra(3/12hrs). He told me about some nasty side efects with these drugs, but I don't know all about it so: 1. Could you tell me what would be the side effects of these drugs and how long would they last? Or how soon would they appear? 2. I'm 170cm tall, and 60k weight, but I guess I'll have problems with being skinny or fat in the future with these drugs: What kind of sport and routine do you suggest me? (I like swimming, is it useful?). What kind of food should I take to lessen the side effects of these drugs? What other things should I do to make my life a little easier? (time to take pills, what to eat, what not to eat, things like that). I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

The most common side effects with that particular combination involve the gastrointestinal track. Many patients develop nausea, bloating, increased gas and loose stools. I usually ask patients to call our office after several days on the meds to report what is occuring to see if we can offer any symptomatic relief. Most patients symptoms ease up over the first 2-4 weeks. Taking the medications with your standard breakfast and supper is usually a big help. Exercise is encouraged. The rate of development of fat problems varies widely. Your HIV specialist is the ideal person to monitor your symptoms and fat status and to suggest interventions or switches in your regimen. KH

Weight Gain is it the Meds?
fatrecovery