viread and kidney cysts

Started viread on August 2004. Had 2 kidney stones show up June of 2004.(both 3.0 mm and one in each kidney. One passed w/o incident. The other remains.. I had a non contrast ct today and it shows the remaining stone has grown to 5.mm. AND a new finding of a probable 1.2cm cyst in the lft interior kidney. Can viread have had an effect on this and is it cause for worry??? ( Also, but less importantly,any thoughts on what to do about the 5mm stone.?.) I have an appt in a few weeks with my urologist but I don't disclose hiv status so I;d like some feedback on the viread connection, if any.. Thanks, LUke

I have not seen any cases of either kidhey stones or cysts in my patients in tenofovir nor have am I aware of a clear association with those conditions reported in the literature. There clearly is an increased risk for decreased renal function (usually mild) when taking tenofovir that may be worse if there are underlying kidney related problems (such as hypertension or diabetes-related renal insufficiency). often a creatinine clearance is obtained to assess status of renal function. If I am concerned that tenofovir is contributing to renal problems I usually switch to an alternative drug (often abacavir would be considered for example). KH

Can I take a break from HIV med
RE:Its justs the Sh*$%s