Vitamin B6 to combat peripheral neuropathy?

I have often read in various HIV related publications that vitamin B complex can help with neuropathy and nerve health in general. In a recent article about vitamins published by NAM (Aidsmap), however, it said, Vitamin B6 - more than 2g per day associated with nerve damage, but even doses as low as 50mg per day have been associated with peripheral sensory neuropathy. My doctor suggested I take 60mg to Vitamin B6 to combat peripheral neuropathy. So who or what is to be believed? With these types of conflicting claims in reputable publications, it is difficult for a patient with a lay knowledge of medicine to make appropriate decisions!

Vitamin B6 (thiamine) is often used to prevent peripheral neuropathy with a good track record in the dose range of 25-50 mg/day. (often used with INH in TB treatment for example) If there is documented deficiency then higher doses are used for a while. For the majority of patients doses up to 60mg day in my experience are well tolerated without much risk for peripheral neuropathy though occasional patients will develop some numbness or parethesias which necessitae decreasing the dose or rarely stopping the meds. I have little experience with high doses (2 gm day) and would expect a much higher rate of side effects if a patient took that. KH

OPI MEDS!
Bone Marrow