Side effect from AZT

I have unfortunately used a needle to test blood sugar for a woman who needed an emergency operation( She told me she had DM controlled by diet). The needled missed and I stuck my left toe. It made me bleed and I squeezed the blood. I took AZT (100mg) 3 caps/12 hr, 3TC 150mg bid, Stocrin 600mg 1 cap/hs. But I took them for only 22 days because of their SEs (nausea, vomiting, fatigue, malaise, headache). But now I stop for 2 days I feel vertigo, no appetite and I have an abnormal gait. I want to know about how long the side effects will last.

Response from Dr. Conway

Congratulations on taking this post-exposure prophylaxis for so long. Most people cannot tolerate it for much for than a week!!!

All of the side effects you describe could be due to the AZT or the Stocrin. They may take a number of days to pass. Remember that the Stocrin stays in your body for 2 weeks or more, so you should be a bit patient. This being said, the side effects should be getting progressively better rather than worse, so if they seem to be getting worse at any time, you should go see your doctor to make sure there isn't someting else going on.

Neuropathy in legs and 3TC?
facial wasting after PEP