Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does surgery affect CD4 counts?
Apr 6, 2005

I recently had extensive surgery on my foot. It included a transplant from a bone bank, the placement of two screws in my ankle and several other repairs. I've been in a cast for ten weeks. For the past two years my CD4's have stayed around 400 consistently. Several weeks after my surgery they fell to 275. I'm considering starting HAART based on the result (my VL is <2000) but wonder if the surgery could've affected the results and there's a possibility they will bounce back.

Response from Dr. Conway

Surgery, acute illnesses and the like can lower your CD4 count temporarily. This is due to a genralized reduction in your lymphocyte count, that also affects the CD8 cells in a similar manner. Given that the CD4 and CD8 count are affected in a similar manner, the CD4 percentage remains unaffected. Over a number of weeks, things usualy go back to how they were before the operation.

For you, I would look at the CD4 percentage. If it is not changed, the reduction in CD4 count probably does not represent progression of your immune disease and I would probably hold off on starting HAART, at least until you have had a chance to repeat the counts (and percentages) in a few weeks.

Previous
Follow Up: Bdna
Next
RE: curious and wondering 3/29

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.