Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Side effects...what if they are OK?

Hello. I posted a question on the Starting Treatment forum a couple of weeks back and the answer to that (along with advice from my consultant and the hospital pharmicist) helped me to decide to start on a course of Sustiva, Tenofovir and Lamivudine. My last counts were CD4 232 and VL 172,000. I started the meds two nights ago, and made the (probable) mistake of waiting for something to happen. Initially only my tongue felt tingly and I felt a bit light-headed after about two hours. I slept reasonably well and had the same vivid and bizarre dreams that I've had all my life. During the day yesterday I felt in a great mood - probably due to the fact that I'd psyched myself up to feel rotten and actually felt completely fine. Took the second dose last night, and again had vivid dreams - but again, because I've had those since I was a child I'm able to influence their content very easily. Today I feel more dizzy than yesterday and had a very brief spell (we're talking minutes) of nausea but because I felt so good yesterday I decided to have a couple of glasses of red wine last night which may have contributed to that. My question is: Should I be prepared for the side-effects to increase in intensity as the days pass? I'm aware that in general the majority of side-effects should pass in a few weeks, but because I'm not feeling anything like as bad as I expected I'm now getting worried that I'm being naive and that the worst is yet to come.

P.S I am a self-confessed worrier.

In my experience many of the annoying side effects start fairly quickly so you are off to a good start. A significant fraction of patients on your regimen don't have much in the way of annoying side effects-maybe you will be one of those. KH

other p.n meds.
HIV, Anemia & Vision Problems