Discolored lips

I am having a problem that I don't hear too much about, my lips are turning darker and darker. The flesh inside my mouth is bright red. I also have severe dry mouth most of the time. I have been HIV+ for about 10 years, am on Sustiva, Zerit, and Videx EC, Marinol, Testim, and Oxandrin. I've had ITP (and had a splenectomy), and also have cirrhosis and lipodystrophy, and have really bad rashes around both of my ankles. My numbers seem ok - undetectable and 600 tcells. I have a hard time gaining weight, I weigh 117 lbs. even though I eat all the time. Please let me have your opinion about this, as it is highly embarrassing. Have you ever heard of lips that are discolored (darkening)?

PLEASE HELP.

Robert

I assume that your oxygen levels are OK and that your lungs and heart are functioning. Hormone abnormalities and iron overload syndromes can cause some darkening like you describe so a general evaluation and perhaps a visit to a dermatologist might help pin down what is going on. KH

URGENT: Should I stop med now?
Joint pain/Urination problems/Rising VL