Blood Clots and H.I.V.

I was diagnosed in 2000, I have been extremely lucky to have responded well to all my treatment. My counts go up and down at times, but other than anemia back in 2001, I have not had many side effects, until this past October. I was hospitalized for blood clots in my right arm, and left leg. My treatment was successful for my arm, but I still have trouble with my leg. I was recently told to try support stockings to treat the problem. My doctors can give me no explination as to why this is happening, or if it is related to my treatment. I have heard recently that this is becoming a trend in positive individuals. Can you tell me about this? I am wondering if my medications might be causing this. I am currently taking Sustiva, Epivir, and Viread. My doctors are great, but seem pretty cluless about this problem. I was originally given blood thinners, and now the support hose. Enlighten me, PLEASE. Thanks

There may be a slight increase in the rate of blood clots. Protein S and C deficiencies, phospholipid syndrome and other conditions associated with blood clots have been reported in both HIV positive and negative populations. To my knowledge the HIV Meds you are on have not been claerly linked to an increased rate of blood clots. I have had several patients evaluated by an HIV interested hematologist who has been able to find at least a partial explanation for the blood clots in some of those cases. KH

lips and facial wastging
side effects Epivir &Retrvior (spelling?)