Swollen lymph nodes because of drug

Hi, I have been on a drug "holiday" since last August. I was experiencing a lot of fatigue, so my doctor took me off my drug combo,(D4T,3TC and Viracept) to see if that would help. In the last six months or so I have had swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck and under my chin that aren't going away and seem be be getting larger. My question is, If I go back on my medication, do you think the lymph nodes would decrease in size? My doctor told me on my last visit (Dec. 2000) that I didn't need to go back on medication unless my T-cells dropped back down to around the 200 level or my viral load started skyrocketing. My last lab results were T-cells around 600 and a viral load of about 1500. My T-cells did drop below 200 around 5 years ago, so I do have an AIDS classification. I have been a little nervous about being off the drugs for so long and hope that I'm not doing myself a disservice health-wise. Thanks you for your time, T.A. Seattle WA.

Response from Dr. Boyle

HIV certainly can cause lymph node enlargement and that may be what you are experiencing. I do not think that, by itself, the lymph nodes you have noted would indicate that you need to restart antiretroviral therapy immediately. I presume your doctor is monitoring these carefully and that is what I would do. If they are increasing in size, a further evaluation would be in order, including a thorough physical exam and a lymph node biopsy, to rule out other causes of enlargement. I do not think that I would wait until your T cells fell to 200 or your viral load was "skyrocketing" before I would restart your therapy, especially given your history of relatively low T cells, and I would monitor your viral load and T cells every 2-3 months and restart therapy on any significant change or indication of a downward trend. BB

Rash
facial lesions