For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Bad Taste

I have been newly on Reyataz, one Norvir a day, and Combivir and after about three weeks developed a terrible taste in my mouth. From what others say I think it's probably the Norvir. Does this eventually go away? or is there any way to lessen the vileness of the taste - or am I stuck with it for life??? I am a 64 year old woman who often gets side effects that few get or that others get on higher doses.

Response from Dr. Conway

It is quite possibly the Norvir. It is absorbed directly through the lining of your mouth, leading to the symptoms you are experiencing. For many people, it either goes away or they get used to it. A little trick that often works is to drink something really cold or even suck on an ice cube before you take your Norvir. This consricts the blood vessels in your mouth and reduces local absorption of the Norvir, thus reducing the side effect.

Is this lipodistrophy?