Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

God Bless You Dr. Conway
Mar 17, 2005

Dr. Conway,

I just thanked God for your reply .. a little shimmer of light in my life tonight...you are a wonderful person to do this for people

If possible, I would like to ask one more thing that I am very confused about.. If P51 alone isn't significant, why did it show up and why was it made such a big deal, how is my big question. A doctor and others have mentioned cross reactivity but I don't know what that is...and what can P51 show up in besides HIV? I thank you for your time with the other question, if you can help clear this specific about P51 I would feel so much better. God Bless -- you are a blessing in my crazy worried life!

Response from Dr. Conway

There are many things that may account for an isolated p51 band. As long as you are carrying an antibody of some sort (either from birth or from another condition that you have acquired in the past that has nothing to do with HIV) that reacts with the p51 protein of HIV, it will produce a band on the Western blot. If, in follow-up, the Western blot shows only this band and no other, you can conclude that it is unrelated to HIV. It is almost imossible to figure out what is causing the band, other to say that it is not HIV. Also, with HIV seroconversion, p51 is not the first band you see, another fact that greatly reassures me when I see this pattern in a patient.

Previous
Bio Alcamid/Sculptra/or other
Next
outbreak

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.