How can I control major constipation?

Hello

I am on Reyataz, Epivir and Ziagen. Also I take Effexor, Wellbutrin, Provigil and Seroquel. obviously for depression. My doctor has prescribed Colace. I take one at night and one in the morning with my meds. I also take an Exlax every other day. I only have a bowel movement every four days. When I go, it hurts very much and I have a fissure that sometimes opens and bleeds a lot. How can I correct this painful side effect?

Sincerely, Robert

Response from Dr. Conway

It is not likley at all that your HIV medications are the cause of your constipation. The Effexor, Wellbutrin and Seroquel all cause constipation in 7-10% people who take them individually, and may be more likely to do so all together. You should see if any of these can be stopped, or if the dose of one or the other be reduced. Beyond that, I might recommend adding fiber to your diet, and also, on a one time basis, taking a more potent bowel cleansing agent (Citromag or the like) to get things into a better state of balance.

Good luck with this.

Is Vitamins Is Good?
Bio Alcamid/Sculptra/or other