LYPOATROPHY AND ABACAVIR

Hi Dr.

I have been my first group of meds for the last 3 years : Combivir and Sustiva. Over the last year, I have noticed a slight amount of fat loss in my legs, and some veins more prominent. I had read that a recent study found that changing from Combivir (AZT) to Zaegen (abacavir), can help restore some fat loss in legs. My doctor told me today that this is not true, but I have found multiple reports on the internet. I don't want to have that "look" and wanted to know if you have any information to back up this finding, or is my doctor more accurate. Thanks so much.

There is a more data about switching D4T to abacavir with some improvement of fat loss than for the AZT to abacavir switch (small number of patients so hard to focus on that group alone--there may be some improvement even in that group). Switching off thymidine analogies or NRTIs altogether might help though improvement may be variable and slow. KH

Truvada/Sustiva Side effects
Acthar Gel as PN Treatment